So today we changed things up a bit.
Instead of having a typical lab type periods, we tried the Pair Programming Tag Team Shootout.
We aren't annualized so while the kids that have been with me since September have been working in pairs for a while, the other half of the class is just getting used to how we do it. I also wanted to get the kids to mix a little more.
Hence the shootout.
Everyone got a sheet with a bunch of problems on it:
I then paired them off randomly.
The idea is complete the first problem, find a new partner, repeat.
By the end of the period each student worked with between five and seven partners.
I'm having them send me their solutions and partners tonight.
The early response was good -- it's speeding up them getting to know each other and it was a nice change of pace. We had some problems coordinating switching problems, but we'll do better next time.
All in all a good day.